20th Century Fox has made it clear in the aftermath of Logan that it is finally on the right track with its Marvel mutant movies and will be exploring other characters and teams in the coming years.
The studio has already announced three X-films next year – New Mutants, Deadpool 2 and X-Men: Dark Phoenix. Barring production holdups, it will be the first time Fox will release 3 X-films in one year.
The studio has also staked claim to dates for six more X-films: on June 7, 2019; November 22, 2019; March 13, 2020; June 26, 2020; October 2, 2020 and March 5, 2021.
So which films are most likely to be coming our way? I’ll try to handicap them:
1) Deadpool 3 – This has already basically been confirmed. Given the massive popularity of the character, it would be extremely surprising if this does not get made. Odds: 2-1
2) Gambit – Long one of the more popular mutants, this film was announced for last year with Channing Tatum as the title character but has been delayed. Although there are Internet rumors that Tatum may leave the project, he is apparently passionate enough to make the odds pretty good it will happen. Odds: 4-1
3) X-Force – With Deadpool (natch), Cable and Domino all set for Deadpool 2, about half of this team’s original, classic lineup is set. If Wolverine and X-23 are added, this could be REAL bloody for this team’s onscreen opponents and their box-office competition. Odds: 5-1
4) Deadpool v. Wolverine. – Given the response to Logan, I find it impossible to believe that Fox won’t back up the Brinks truck to have Hugh Jackman put on the claws one more time to bring the two most popular mutants together on the big screen. Odds: 5-1
5) Mystique – The X-brain trust has wanted a solo ‘Mystique’ film for years. With Jennifer Lawrence’s box-office clout diminishing a bit lately, a solo “Mystique” film could get her invested in a film that explores the complexity of the character. It’s now more likely thanks to the smash success of Wonder Woman. Odds: 6-1
6) Storm – With the success of Wonder Woman, what a good time to give Halle Berry a meaty role? Would also help with diversity and help make people stop talking about Catwoman for good. Odds:15-1
7) X-23 – If Jackman is done for good as Wolverine, who better to take a slashing lead role than Dafne Keen, praised in Logan for her performance as his female clone/daughter. Odds:18-1
8) X-Men 8 – Depends on if the core cast returns and if Fox wants to give the primary team a rest. Odds: 20-1
9) Psylocke – Olivia Munn didn’t get nearly enough to do in X-Men: Apocalypse despite looking great and having powerful attention-grabbing moments. Munn loves the character but a feature is probably too much of a financial risk. Odds: 200-1
10) Jubilee – That Fox had a game, fun and committed Lana Condor for X-Men: Apocalypse and failed to utilize her should be criminal. With Condor’s profile rising, Fox may take a chance with giving “Wolverine’s Robin” a shot – but probably not. Odds: 250-1.