After making changes to their original movie slate announced in 2014, DC/Warner Brothers announced an updated list of upcoming films at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con and it raises more questions than it answers.
After this year’s Justice League and next year’s Aquaman, DC/WB announced the following films – not necessarily in order of release: Shazam, Suicide Squad 2, The Batman, Justice League Dark, Batgirl, Green Lantern Corps, The Flash: Flashpoint and Wonder Woman 2.
At first glance, this seems impressive. Batgirl, in particular, seems like a no-brainer with her name recognition, tie-in with the Bat-family and Joss Whedon’s desire to helm, especially with his success with projects with female leads.
Shazam seems to appeal to a lighter, younger demographic, while Justice League Dark could be a superhero movie that appeals to horror fans. Wonder Woman 2 is obviously a slam dunk. Suicide Squad 2? Less so. The Batman is almost a guaranteed success — while Green Lantern Corps and The Flash: Flashpoint offer no guarantees.
- Where are the dates? DC/WB fans would likely feel more confident in the DCEU’s films going forward if there were dates attached to these “announcements” and it seemed like the company had a real plan, the way Marvel Studios has had since Day One. Right now, it looks like the company is throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Especially since previously announced films and strongly rumored films are not on this list.
- Where is the “Cyborg” movie? With Marvel Studios’ footage of “Black Panther” thrilling Hall H this past weekend, it seems absurd that DC/WB would shelve a film starring an African-American character at the same time. Is it still coming? No one knows.
- Will Suicide Squad 2 change the cast? With Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn the only character universally praised in Suicide Squad, there could and should be cast and/or character changes afoot for the sequel.
- Where are “Gotham City Sirens” and “Harley Quinn v. The Joker”? As popular as Robbie’s portrayal as Quinn is, having her in four films might be pushing it. However, it would still be nice to know how concrete the plans are for either of these films.
- Will Flashpoint reboot the entire DCEU — already? Do the Powers That Be feel Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad damaged those properties to such a degree that they already want a fresh reboot? Possibly. Another possibility is that they will see what works in the preceding films and keep what works and toss what doesn’t. Or, it could simply be a time-travel romp akin to X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- Where is “Man of Steel 2”? There are some who were hoping against hope that, since DC/WB had an untitled film for 2018, that we would get another Superman film in time for his 80th Anniversary. That does not look like it is going to happen.
- How can they not have a date or cast locked down for Wonder Woman 2? Wonder Woman is DC/WB’s one unquestioned success to date. Yet, they may make TEN more films before giving Gal Gadot’s Diana a sequel? Lock that down!