Monday, November 30, 2015

IRA-distribution checkmate?


DEAR HARRY: My 79-year-old mother-in-law recently discovered that her IRA distribution check for 2010 was in a kitchen cabinet uncashed. She has a Form 1099 for 2010, and the full $1,100 was reported on her 2010 tax return. She contacted the broker who is the custodian, and was told that they returned the amount to her account after six months. She withdrew the $1,100 from the account in December. She already had withdrawn her required minimum distribution for 2013 earlier in the year. So far, she has not received her 1099 for 2013. How do we handle this to prevent it from being taxed again in 2013?

WHAT HARRY SAYS: Immediately notify the broker that this amount should not be reported a second time. If it's too late to get a correct 1099, ask for an amended one showing only the current distribution. If they cannot or will not do this, you will have to attach a note to the return explaining what happened. A copy of her 1099s for 2010 and 2013 would be helpful. So would a letter from the broker explaining what they did. I'm a bit surprised at the way they handled this. A better procedure would have been to contact her long before this.


Email Harry Gross at, or

write to him at Daily News, 801 Market St., Philadelphia, PA 19107.


Harry urges all his readers to give blood. Contact the American Red Cross at 800-Red Cross.

Daily News Personal Finance Columnist
We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

Comment policy: comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Read 0 comments
comments powered by Disqus
Also on
letter icon Newsletter