Friday, February 12, 2016

They hope son can get academic scholarship - but what if he can't?


DEAR HARRY: Our son will go to college in the fall of 2014. He is an only child and quite bright. We are hoping his academic achievements will get him a scholarship, but we cannot be sure. As a result, we're looking ahead to the possibility of our having to pay for the tuition and expenses ourselves.

Neither my wife nor I have ever earned much money (she is a salesperson in a clothing store, and I drive a bus), so we don't have much saved. We own our home clear of a mortgage, and we have no other debts. What should we look for in terms of loans?

What Harry says: Before we discuss loans, let me suggest that he look into colleges that have grants to students in place of loans. These are all heavily endowed colleges, like Penn and Princeton, so your son's academic prowess will help him gain admission. If he has to get loans, try to avoid the Parent Plus Loan Program and private student loans because they are costly and have other disadvantages.

You should consider a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) and Federal Student Loans. The HELOC has the disadvantage of possible interest-rate hikes in the future, as well as the fact that your home is on the line as security for the lender.

Your son can apply for the federal loans, and you can help him to repay. There are also provisions for modification of the loan in the future if he should have financial problems. This is my first choice, followed by the HELOC. Good luck!


Email Harry Gross at, or

write to him at Daily News, 801 Market St., Philadelphia, PA 19107.

Harry urges all his readers to give blood. Contact the American Red Cross at 1-800-Red Cross.

Daily News Personal Finance Columnist
We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

Comment policy: comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Read 0 comments
comments powered by Disqus
Also on
letter icon Newsletter