Friday, September 4, 2015

GM settlement criteria to be decided within weeks

0 comments
The leader of General Motors´ ignition-switch victim settlement fund plans to determine criteria this month and start accepting claims Aug. 1.
The leader of General Motors' ignition-switch victim settlement fund plans to determine criteria this month and start accepting claims Aug. 1. Paul Sancya

(MCT) -- DETROIT - The leader of General Motors' ignition-switch victim settlement fund plans to determine criteria this month and start accepting claims Aug. 1.

Kenneth Feinberg, who also led the 9/11 victim fund and the BP oil spill disaster fund, plans to accept claims for a limited amount of time, his spokeswoman confirmed in an email.

GM has given Feinberg the discretion to determine eligibility criteria and the size of settlements. Analysts have said the settlements could reach into the billions.

"I will be spending the next few weeks seeking advice and input from all interested parties as to the terms and conditions of such a program," Feinberg said in a statement. "I have already drafted some preliminary compensation ideas and plan to share them in confidence over the next few weeks with lawyers, public interest groups, GM and others interested in the compensation program."

General Motors Co. CEO Mary Barra told reporters Tuesday that the company will report an estimated total for settlements by the time it reports second-quarter earnings July 24.

One of the lingering questions is whether Feinberg will offer settlements to victims who were sitting in the back seat of vehicles involved in accidents blamed on the ignition-switch defect, which can cause the small cars to turn off while driving, cutting off frontal air bags in a front-impact collision.

Ken Rimer, stepfather of Natasha Weigel, an 18-year-old killed in a 2006 accident in Wisconsin, said Monday at a protest outside GM's Detroit headquarters that it's unconscionable that the automaker is currently not counting back-seat victims in its running total of people affected by the defect.

GM has linked at least 13 deaths to the defect; the exact figure is likely higher.

GM last week released a 325-page investigative report - conducted by outside attorney Anton Valukas - revealing that inept engineers, secretive lawyers and slow safety officials failed to order a recall while the defect festered for more than a decade.

---

(c)2014 Detroit Free Press

Visit the Detroit Free Press at www.freep.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services

Detroit Free Press
0 comments
We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

Comment policy:

Philly.com comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by Philly.com staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Read 0 comments
 
comments powered by Disqus