Monday, July 28, 2014
Inquirer Daily News

GM recalls this year hit 20 million

General Motors CEO Mary Barra testifying before a House committee in April. An additional 3.2 million vehicles were recalled . AP
General Motors CEO Mary Barra testifying before a House committee in April. An additional 3.2 million vehicles were recalled . AP
General Motors Co., in the latest recall related to ignition-switch flaws, is calling back about 3.2 million more vehicles and said recall-related charges would reach $700 million in the second quarter.

The latest announcement brings GM's total recalls this year to 20 million. The biggest U.S. automaker said it is recalling models including Buick Lacrosse from 2005 to 2009; Chevrolet Impala 2006-14; Cadillac Deville 2000–05; Cadillac DTS 2004–11; Buick Lucerne 2006–11; Buick Regal LS and GS 2004–05; and Chevy Monte Carlo 2006–08.

The ignition switch may inadvertently move out of the "run" position if the key is carrying extra weight and experiences some jarring event, the company said in a statement.

GM is aware of eight crashes and six injuries related to this recall, the company said.

The company is stepping up the pace of recalls as it faces multiple investigations for its slowness in dealing with 2.6 million small cars with ignition issues linked to at least 13 deaths.

The carmaker, which also called back more than 500,000 Chevrolet Camaros Friday for an ignition-related design flaw, released the results of an internal probe into its February recall this month. The report blamed a lack of urgency in the company's engineering and legal departments in dealing with problems, though no conspiracy to hide facts.

The company agreed last month to pay a $35 million fine as part of the U.S. Transportation Department's investigation into how GM handled the February recall. The Detroit-based company also has added about 35 investigators as it shows a willingness to take vehicles off the road for a variety of issues.

In April, CEO Mary Barra was called to testify before two congressional committees to explain why the company took years to publicize the faulty ignition switches. Since then, GM has told owners of millions more vehicles to bring their cars to dealers for repairs to shift cables and seat belts, among other parts.

While Barra was held blameless in the company's own investigation, she dismissed 15 employees for their roles in the episode. That probe was led by Anton Valukas, chairman of law firm Jenner & Block L.L.C., who served as a Justice Department-appointed examiner of the downfall of Lehman Bros. Holdings Inc.

GM's recall total exceeds the 10.7 million-vehicle mark set by the automaker in 2004, according to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

John Irwin and Tim Higgins Bloomberg News
Business Videos:
Also on Philly.com:
Stay Connected