1) Heroes are people who save lives? True
2) Could you be a hero? Yes! everyone has the capability to save a life by registering as an organ and tissue donor.
3) Organ donations in the United States saved __________lives in 2016? 33,600.
4) Who could you donate an organ to? All of the above.
An organ and tissue donor can donate to anyone who is compatible.
5) There are currently __________ patients on the waitlist for a life-saving organ transplant in the United States. 118,000 people.
Out of the 118,000 patients on the waitlist in the United States. An average of 22 people die each day while waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.
6) If everyone signed up to become an organ donor, much of the waitlist could be eliminated. True.
It is believed that much of the waitlist could be eliminated if everybody eligible signed up to be an organ donor, depending on the compatibility between the donors and the recipients.
7) How many lives could one donor save? 8 lives.
One donor can save 8 lives through organ donations and enhance the lives of up to 75 others through tissue donations.
8) What is the first step to becoming a hero? Both answers are correct.
One liver can be divided in order to save two lives. True
Which organs can be donated? Life-saving organs for transplants include the heart, kidney, pancreas, lungs, liver and intestines. Tissue donors can donate bones to help improve mobility, skin donations to heal burn patients and heart valve donations to repair life-threatening defects. Donors can also provide corneas that give the gift of sight.
Which major religions support organ donation? All of the major religions in this country approve of organ and tissue donation and consider it a gift - an act of charity. If you have questions, contact your religious advisor.
What is the age limit to be an organ donor? At the time of death, the potential donor's organs are evaluated to determine their suitability for donation. Therefore, people of any age wishing to become organ and tissue donors should indicate their decision to be an organ and tissue donor on their driver's license and inform their family that they wish to donate.
Learn more and register to be an organ and tissue donor at donors1.org.