Extreme couponing can seem daunting. If you’ve ever tuned into TLC’s television show Extreme Couponing, you’re probably well aware of the time and dedication it can take, from finding coupons to collecting, clipping, and organizing them. However, there are a ton of strategies for using coupons. All it takes is a little bit of planning and, voila!, you’ll be on your way to saving a ton of cash. Below are five tips for anyone looking to get into extreme couponing.
1. Join the store loyalty program. Most stores offer free loyalty programs to shoppers. Oftentimes, deals are exclusive to members and coupons are automatically loaded onto your account for additional savings. Joining is easy, and it’s free, so there’s really nothing to lose!
2. Get weekend subscriptions to a few newspapers. The Sunday paper is going to be your best friend when it comes to couponing. This is when newspapers distribute the majority of their coupon inserts and flyers. It’s important to note that not all papers carry the same coupons, so consider shopping around and trying out a few different local newspapers to see which carries the most valuable coupons. Once you select your favorite, you may also want to buy multiple copies of the same paper or even ask friends and family for their extra copies to stock up on coupons.
3. Don’t forget about websites and apps. A quick Google search will lead to a ton of resources that you can subscribe to in order to get coupons delivered right to your inbox. Many coupons are only available online so be sure to search for printable coupons to avoid missing an amazing deal.
4. Familiarize yourself with store couponing policies. Many stores have a handful of policies to follow when couponing. There may be limits on how many of the same coupons you can use per transaction or how many products you can buy with a coupon. Make note of these policies as they can help you save even more money. Additionally, be aware of coupon expiration dates as many stores will not accept coupons past their expiration date. There’s nothing worse than putting in a ton of work only to find yourself at the store with an invalid coupon.
5. Stack your coupons. This is the key to extreme savings, as you’ll be using multiple coupons for a single item. By pairing store coupons with manufacturer coupons and shopper rewards, you can maximize the amount you save on each item.
Remember: becoming a pro at extreme couponing takes time. There are a ton of strategies to learn and practice, not to mention organizational tricks and coupon lingo to master. However, before you know it, you’ll be well on your way to saving big on your household groceries.
Want to learn even more about how you can start saving hundreds of dollars? Join Jen Freeman, TV personality from TLC’s Extreme Couponing, at her free extreme couponing workshop on July 11th at Courtyard Philadelphia City Avenue and 12th at the Church of the Advent in Kennett Square, where she’ll be sharing insider tips, tricks, and time-saving techniques.