Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Inquirer Daily News

Do not read this first-person account of a poisonous snakebite until after you've digested your lunch (seriously)

In Central America, the fer-de-lance - a six-foot-long, poisonous pit viper - is responsible for roughly half of all snakebites

Do not read this first-person account of a poisonous snakebite until after you've digested your lunch (seriously)

Image via Wikimedia, Totodu74

In Central America, the fer-de-lance – a six-foot-long, poisonous pit viper – is responsible for roughly half of all snakebites. Earlier this year, television producer Steve Rankin received one of those bites while scouting locations for a Discovery Channel show. Thankfully, he survived and decided to write about his ordeal. His first-person account of a poisonous snakebite is the closest I’ll ever need to get to a snake again, thank you.

I scrambled up a five foot fallen tree. I paused,and glanced up ahead at the two guides before looking down to check for anything slithering near my feet. Then I jumped off the trunk.

Bang. It felt like I’d been stabbed in the left foot. I jumped away from the tree and looked back. I saw the writhing brown mottled outline of a snake. It looked maybe five or six feet long and as thick as my wrist. It was right up against the tree. I saw the large, distinct, arrow-shaped head of a pit viper. I knew it was venomous.

“Snake,” I yelled. Pompi and Gerhard thought I’d spotted one. “I’ve been bitten.”

They rushed 40 feet back to me. The whole time I kept my eye on the snake, so I didn’t lose it. It was maybe eight feet away from me.

One of the guides said, “Terciopelo.”

I looked at Gerhard, confused. “A fer-de-lance,” he said. “We call them terciopelo here.”

Within seconds, my heart started racing. I felt a painful burning sensation in my left foot. I put my weight on my right foot. I suddenly felt weak. The guys grabbed my shoulders and held me up. My knees immediately went to jelly. I was panting like a horse. “Breathe. Breathe slowly—in and out, in and out,” said Derek, a cameraman. “Try not to let the venom spread too quickly.”

“Easy for you to say,” I said.

Someone took off my boot. I dreaded what would be revealed. I tried to think positive. I thought, “Maybe I got lucky. Maybe it was just a warning shot.  A hiking boot surely would protect me to some extent?”

Once the boot came off, the sock said everything. A red stain was spreading across the grey fabric covering my instep. “Crap,” I thought. The puncture wounds on the top of my foot were bleeding freely.

It's probably best to read the rest of the ordeal after you've digested your lunch because, rotting flesh. [Outside]

About this blog
A blog tuned-in to what's happening on the Internet. Twitter. Homeland. Cat videos. Odd local stories. Ryan Gosling. You know, the important stuff.

Mare McKeever philly.com
Gabrielle Bonghi Philly.com
Nick Vadala Philly.com
Howard Gensler Daily News Tattle Columnist
Layla A. Jones philly.com
Molly Eichel
Latest Videos:
Also on Philly.com:
Stay Connected