United States Secretary of State John Kerry recently vacated his seat in the Senate as he was sworn in as Hillary Clinton's successor. Author Steve Almond—he's written a slew of books including the wonderful (Not That You Asked) and Candy Freak—has written a piece for cognoscenti that stop just short of begging actor/director extraordinaire Ben Affleck to run for Kerry's seat. He offers six reasons.
1. You’re being offered a higher calling and deep down you know it, mister.
2. The timing is right—and timing is everything.
3. You would make a great candidate and politician.
4. You would have plenty of downtime.
5. If Arnold Schwarzenegger can do it, so can you.
6. Your children (and mine) are counting on you.
Almond mentions that Affleck has previously mentioned his political aspirations (and adamantly declared that he won't seak the vacant Senate seat). One of the biggest draws would be that the shortened term—there's a year and a half left—would allow Affleck to dip his feet in the political waters without having to spend six years away from Hollywood at the height of his career. [cognoscenti]