An alumnus of Horizons off South Street is opening in New Hope. And the downtown vegg-ery from Blue Sage's Mike Jackson has also set an opening date.
Two restaurants do not a trend make, but here are two vegetarian offerings on the way.
Ross Olchvary, who was sous chef and chef de cuisine at Horizons, is hoping for a February opening for a vegan (yes, vegan) BYOB at 450 Union Square Drive in New Hope, near Triumph Brewery's New Hope location. His name is Sprig & Vine.
Thoreau, the vegetarian from Blue Sage chef-owner Mike Jackson under construction at 1033 Spring Garden St. (photo), has set a Feb. 2* opening. He'll remain with Blue Sage (in Southampton, Bucks County), which he still owns with his ex-wife, Holly. He's also going for a liquor license.
Here's a peek at Thoreau's menu:
- Plantains Serrano: sweet-crisp plantain tostones with avocado-red lentil roast corn martini
- Green Curry Mango Summer Rolls: grilled julienned carrots and parsnips in green curry glaze with fresh mango in rice paper wrapper, served with arugula-ruby red salad, dipping oils
- Buffalo Blue Blini: mini buckwheat pancakes, Maytag-mascarpone cream, wild mushrooms in sweet-tangy carrot chile glaze
- Macadamia Black Bean Cakes (four) with pineapple-yellow tomato salsa and exotic dipping dots
- Fresco: baby spinach in maple mustard vinaigrette, polenta croutons, French feta, pistachios, oven-dried grape tomatoes, grilled treviso, baba ghanoush
- Asian-Pacific: avocado, fresh hearts of palm, grapefruit supremes, cashews, wonton croutons, arugula in sesame vinaigrette, green curry pistou
- Inverno: watercress, roasted carrots and parsnips, maple pecans, pear walnut vinaigrette, with ricotta salata, matchstick Anjou pears
- Falafel (in pressed lavish): smoked red pepper hummus, tomato relish, cucumber yogurt, with baby greens in chile-lime vinaigrette
- Blue Corn Asparagus Tacos (three) with manchego, pumpkin seed-red pepper pesto, black bean relish, lime crema
- Dagwood Cubano: pressed focaccia encases avocado, cucumber, roasted red pepper, oven-dried grape tomatoes, “Catalina”-style mayo, sharp provolone, served with baby greens in maple mustard vinaigrette.
- Cubano Supper: plantain empanadas with sunflower seed-chipotle pesto, yellow tomato-avocado roast corn Napoleon, mango papaya relish, jicama slaw
- Poblano: tender roasted red bell pepper filled with grilled eggplant caponata, mild teleggio, pumpkin seed crust, served with tobacco-tempura onion rings, simple tomato cucumber chop salad
- Blue Plate: Rosette of purple Okinawa sweet potatoes atop sweet corn gravy, grilled avocado with edamame succotash, brochette of Szechwan-carrot syrup glazed shiitakes
- Wild Mushroom Risotto: creamy pumpkin-green apple Arborio rice risotto hides molten basil mascarpone, surrounded by a riot of wild and exotic oyster and shiitake mushrooms in ancho chile marsala broth
- Khorma: Indian inspired khorma of red lentils, butternut squash and leeks in mild house curry., topped with mango papaya relish and savory corn hush puppies
- Tamarind Peanut Noodles: soba noodles, grilled asparagus, chopped peanuts and many herbs in sweet-spicy tamirand-kaffir lime broth, topped with tatsoi-white asparagus salad
* opening date updated