Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Have a Gilmore's gift certificate?

You may be out of luck.

Have a Gilmore's gift certificate?


Eleven years in downtown West Chester. Rave reviews from every food publication.

And now it seems as if anyone holding a gift certificate to Gilmore's restaurant is out of luck.

The restaurant closed after dinner July 14.

On July 16, owner Peter Gilmore told me that he decided to close the restaurant only days before because he had grown tired and wanted to "go out on top."

On July 18, he notified customers of the closing in an email that concluded: "If you have any inquiries, please send them in writing to: Gilmore's Restaurant, 133 East Gay Street, West Chester, PA 19380."

On July 20, I spoke to him about gift certificates and he told me that John Brandt-Lee, who owns Avalon in the borough, would honor them at 50 percent of face value. But, I replied, if you're going to give refunds, why would anyone take up Brandt-Lee's generous offer?

Gilmore said he would proceed on his attorney's suggestions.

In the last 10 days, Gilmore has not returned subsequent calls and emails. People have posted on the restaurant's Facebook page to inquire about gift certificates; there's been no response.

Those with gift certificates are indeed owed money, but if history is any guide, they're better off using their card as an ice scraper this winter.

When a restaurateur truly cares about his customers, he announces a closing well in advance  - much as Gilmore's former longtime boss, Georges Perrier, did. Give those with gift cards a chance to use them. Bask in the glow a little.

Because there is no expiration date printed on Gilmore's gift cards, they do not have to be turned over to the state as unclaimed property. (By law, a business has to turn over to the Treasury the value of expired gift certificates after two years.)

Nils Frederiksen, a spokesman for the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office, said his office sometimes can pry a refund. Those holding gift certificates to Gilmore's or any closed business can lodge a complaint by calling 1-800-441-2555. Those filing should have documentation ready.

We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

Comment policy:

Philly.com comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by Philly.com staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Read 0 comments
comments powered by Disqus
About this blog
Michael Klein, the editor/producer of philly.com/Food, writes about the local restaurant scene in his Inquirer column "Table Talk." Have a question? Email it! See his Inquirer work here.

Michael Klein Philly.com
Latest Videos:
Also on Philly.com
letter icon Newsletter