Men's Soccer Collects First Conference Victory, 2-0 Over Towson

PHILADELPHIA - In recent years, the matchup between Drexel and Towson has produced some shootouts, including last season's 4-3 Dragon victory. This year, it was the Drexel defense which stepped up and earned its second shutout of the week as Drexel earned its first Colonial Athletic Association victory of the season, 2-0 over the Towson Tigers at Vidas Field on Saturday. Ken Tribbett scored on a penalty kick less than five minutes into the game, and Mark Donohue added a goal in the 84th minute.

With the game just getting underway, Manuel Cazares made some room for himself near midfield and fed the ball into the box, where Malcolm LeBourne picked it up. Just as he gained control in the box, he was taken down by a hard tackle, and a foul was called on Towson. That led to a penalty shot, which Ken Tribbett took. Immediately after the whistle blew, he did not give Towson keeper John Steele a chance to get set as he slotted the ball into the lower right corner of the net, converting the shot to give Drexel a 1-0 lead.

That lead held up for most of the game, although both teams had chances to score. With a litlte more than seven minutes to play in the first half, John Grosh picked off a ball just inside Towson territory, feeding it to a cutting Mark Donohue. With one man to beat, Donohue skimmed a ball along the ground, missing wide on the far side by inches.

In the second half, Towson put up its strongest pressure of the game in the 61st minute. The Tigers earned back-to-back corner kicks as Drexel had trouble clearing the ball out of the box. After the second corner, the ball popped loose to Phil Martinelli at the top of the box. He helicoptered into a line drive shot that was blocked before it reached Drexel goalkeeper Pentti Pussinen.

Pussinen had his biggest save of the game with just under 10 minutes to play when he dove to his right to stop the low shot from Towson's Cameron Kidwell.

Having missed on his opportunity earlier in the game, Mark Donohue did not miss when he got another big chance late in the contest. In the 84th minute, he challenged the new Towson keeper Angelo Viteritti for a 50/50 ball. Viteritti won, but he tried to clear the ball and instead fired it straight into the stomach of Donohue. The ball richoched back past Viteritti, and Donohue sprinted behind the Tigers' keeper and tapped the ball home to give the Dragons some breathing room.

Drexel will return to Vidas Field on Wednesday evening when they host Delaware at 7:00 p.m.