SAINT JOSEPH'S WOMEN'S TENNIS TEAM EDGES PROVIDENCE, 4-3
TAMPA, Fla. - For the second straight day the Saint Joseph's women's tennis match came down to the final singles match. The Hawks, facing Big East foe Providence, again earned the 4-3 victory as sophomore Kelly Mulquinearned the three-set tie-breaking victory at No. 5 singles to earn the team win for SJU.
Opening in doubles action, the Hawks picked up a win at No. 3 as Mulquin and Devi Jadeja posted an 8-6 win. Unfortunately for SJU, the Friars would earn the doubles point with wins at the first and second flights.
Switching to singles, Jadeja got SJU goint with a 6-2, 6-1 win at the second flight. Following victories by Providence at the third and six flights. Saint Joseph's rallies with a Robinson 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 1 singles, while Aurora Davis evened the match for a 3-6, 7-5, 10-8 win.
With the match tied at 3-3, the decisive point was on Mulquin. After splitting the first two sets, Mulquin and Karen Ramirez went to the tie breaker. After a long battle, Mulquin would break Ramirez 17-15 to earn the 4-3 win for SJU.
1. Casey Robinson (SJU) def. Marisela Aviles-Durom (PC) 6-1, 6-4
2. Aurora Davis (SJU) def. Maria Clara Bernardez (SJU) 3-6, 7-5, 10-8
3. Alana Prinos (PC) def. Kristina Eisenbrand (SJU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Devi Jadeja (SJU) def. Olivia Hogan (SJU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Kelly Mulquin (SJU) def. Karen Ramirez (PC) 6-4, 6-2, 17-15
6. Hannah Zangari (PC) def. Arianne Polatnick (SJU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Aviles/Bernardez (PC) def. Robinson/Davis (SJU) 8-4
2. Primos/Hogan (PC) def. Lauren Roy /Eisenbrand (SJU) 8-3
3. Mulquin/Jadeja (SJU) def. Ramirez/Zangari (PC) 8-6