PITTSBURGH - Coming down to the final singles match, the Saint Joseph's women's tennis team and Duquesne were tied 3-3. Going to the third set, the Hawks came out on the losing end, 4-3, despite a strong effort from the entire lineup.
Opening with doubles, the host Dukes took the first point at the first flight, but the SJU team of Kelly Mulquin and Devi Jadeja posted an 8-4 win at No. 3 doubles to square the doubles point up. Unfortunately for SJU, Duquesne earned the 8-5 win to take the first point of the match.
Switching to singles, the Dukes took the fourth and fifth flights to take a 3-0 lead, but Saint Joseph's answered with wins at the top three flights. Casey Robinson earned a 7-6 (4), 6-2 win at the top flight, while sophomore Aurora Davis was a 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 winner at the second flight. Freshman Kristina Eisenbrand tied the match at 3-3 with a 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (3) victory at the third flight.
With the match resting on the result of the sixth singles flight, the Hawks' Arianne Polatnick and Duquesne's Laurence Lambert went to three sets. The Dukes would come out in the end though, winning 5-7, 6-4, 7-5 to earn the match victory.
The Hawks return to action tomorrow when they face George Washington in Pittsburgh.
1. Megan O'Sullivan/Sarah Shashura (DUQ) def. Kristina Eisenbrand / Casey Robinson (SJU)8-4
2. Judy Li/Alexa Miller (DUQ) def. Lauren Roy / Aurora Davis (SJU) 8-5
3. Kelly Mulquin / Devi Jadeja(SJU) def. Chandler Consonery/Daniella Osio (DUQ) 8-4
1. Robinson (SJU) def. Li (DUQ) 7-6 (4), 6-2
2. Davis (SJU) def O'Sullivan (DUQ) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
3. Eisenbrand (SJU) def. Shashura (DUQ) 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (3)
4. Miller (DUQ) def. Jadeja (SJU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Consonery (DUQ) def. Mulquin (SJU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Laurence Lambert (DUQ) def. Arianne Polatnick(SJU) 5-7, 6-4, 7-5
Saint Joseph's: 91