Page's Late Score Nets 1-0 Win for Drexel Men's Soccer

EASTON, Pa. - It had been nearly two years since Nathan Page got a goal for the Drexel men's soccer team. A 2010 Philadelphia Soccer Six All-Star, Page led the team that year with six goals, leading the Dragons to victory in each match in which he scored. After missing nearly all of the 2011 season with injury, Page was playing just his second match of 2012 on Wednesday as Drexel visited Lafayette. In the 84th minute, Page's scoreless streak which dated back to October 16, 2010 came to an end as he headed in a beautiful ball to give Drexel a 1-0 lead and ulimately its third-straight victory. The win was the second-consecutive shutout for the Dragons (3-1-1), who got stellar goaltending play from Tim Washam en route to the win.

Drexel's three-game winning streak is its longest since the beginning of that 2010 season, when the Dragons won the first four games in the tenure of now-third-year head coach Doug Hess.

Washam, starting his fourth game of the season, earned his second-consecutive shutout with four saves, each of which came in the first half.

The first half saw the host Leopards (1-4-1) get off five shots, including four on net. Washam came up big each time, saving two shots by Blake Fink and two more as Lafayette tried to get an early advantage.

Drexel had its own early chances, including a Page shot just 37 seconds into the match that was saved by the Leopards' Alexander Leavy. The Dragons got three shots on goal in the first half, but could not light up the scoreboard.

In the second half, both defenses clamped down. Neither team could find a shot on net in the period until the 84th minute, when Page struck. It came shortly after a shot by Matheus Goncalves went wide, as Drexel asserted control late in the match. As the clock ticked just past seven minutes remaining, John Boswell sent a cross into the box, finding Page in front of the net. The junior leapt and flicked the ball past Leavy's grasp with a header, sending the Dragons' sideline into a frenzy.

The Dragons withstood one last charge by Lafayette in the 87th minute, as a header shot from Kyle Scharfenberg went high.

Drexel now will enjoy nearly a week off before its next game, on September 18 at Virginia. That game will get started at 7:00 p.m. in Charlottesville.