Men's Lacrosse Finishes Strong for First Win, 13-8 at Albany

ALBANY, N.Y. - The Drexel men's lacrosse team earned its first victory of the season on Saturday, pulling away late for a 13-8 triumph at Albany. Robert Church led the team with five goals, including the eventual game-winner late in the third quarter. The Dragons scored four of the game's final five goals to close out what had been a tight contest for much of the way.

Church got things started for Drexel with 11:53 remaining in the first half. On the attack, Kyle Bergman found Church out front to rip home the Dragons' first goal of the game. Bergman himself would make it 2-0 Drexel nearly five minutes later with his unassisted score.

After grabbing that early 2-0 advantage, the Dragons allowed the host Great Danes to score four of the next five goals as Albany took a brief 4-3 lead when Ty Thompson tallied his first of two scores with 10:03 to play in the second quarter. Less than two minutes later, it was Church who had the answer for the Dragons, notching his second goal of the day with 8:16 to go before halftime. Once again, Bergman followed that up with a score to regain the lead for the Dragons.

Albany evened things up again with Thompson's second goal, but Church's third goal, with 1:49 remaining in the second half, gave Drexel a lead it would never relinquish. Brendan Glynn found Church this time, putting the Dragons back on top 6-5. Glynn got on the board himself just before half, converting a man-up opportunity with 21 seconds remaining in the second quarter.

Drexel was 1-for-4 on extra-man opportunities against Albany, after going 1-for-1 in the season opener against top-ranked Virginia. However, the Dragons have done very well on penalty kill chances in the early going this year. After killing off the Cavaliers' only man-up chance last Saturday, the Dragons shut down all four of the Great Danes' chances in this contest. In fact, Bergman put the icing on the cake for Drexel with a shorthanded goal with 53 ticks remaining in the fourth quarter.

Before it got to that, though, the Dragons had to hold off a feisty Albany squad. Taking a 7-5 lead into the half, the Dragons scored the first goal of the second half when Brian Teuber, a senior defenseman, ventured upfield and slammed in his first collegiate goal. From there, though, the Danes got two straight scores from Joe Resetarits and were within a goal at 8-7 with 4:47 to play in the third quarter.

With the Great Danes coming on strong, the Dragons stepped up. Mark Manos, who finished with 14 saves, had 10 of those after halftime and allowed just one goal over the game's final 19:47. After gaining possession following Albany's seventh goal, the Dragons once again worked the ball to Church, who weaved his way inside and stopped the brief Albany scoring run with his fourth goal of the game, making it 9-7 Dragons with 1:34 to play in the third.

Going to the fourth quarter, Drexel wasted little time eliminating any suspense from the game's final 15 minutes. Glynn took a Kevin Stockel pass and found the back of the net with 9:01 to play, making it 10-7 Drexel. The way Manos was playing, that would be more than enough cushion for the Dragons, but Bergman and Church added backbreaking scores with 5:36 and 3:38 remaining, respectively. Albany finally solved the stone wall that was Manos with 2:49 to play, ending a 16:58 scoreless spell, but the Danes had already been done in. Bergman's fourth goal finished the scoring with less than a minute to play.

Drexel will return to the field on Tuesday, when they visit Philly rival Villanova. Face off is set for 7:00 p.m.