PHILADELPHIA – The men’s tennis team won five singles matches to defeat Philadelphia University, 5-2 on Thursday afternoon on the La Salle Tennis Courts.
Sophomore Chas Berenato clinched the win for the Explorers with a 6-1 victory in the third set of his matchup. He had dropped the first set 6-3, but would recover to win the second 6-3.
The freshmen added strong performances for La Salle again today, with De'Sean Fennell, Dale Fetterman, and Robert Kasinow each winning their singles draws. Junior Trevor Donovan rounded out the wins, defeating his opponent in a shortened second set.
“The freshmen are really stepping up for us and Chas came through with the clincher,” Colfer said. “We’re going to continue to work against some tough competition this weekend.”
In doubles competition, Fetterman and junior Hunter Selman easily took care of their opponents at the No. 3 position, but Berenato and Fennell fell at No. 1.
Ryan Christopher and Adrian Torroella-Cruz pushed sophomore Joseph LaBate and Donovan into a tiebreak at No. 2 doubles and the Philadelphia University pair would go on to win 9-8 (7-5).
The Explorers are in the midst of three straight daysof competition, with matches against Mount St. Mary’s tomorrow and St. Francis (NY) on Saturday.
La Salle 5, Philadelphia University 2
1. Chas Berenato (LAS) def. Adrian Torroella-Cruz (PU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. De'Sean Fennell (LAS) def. Kyle Burke (PU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Manoli Sgouros (PU) def. Joseph LaBate (LAS), 6-1, 6-4
4. Trevor Donovan (LAS) def. Ryan Christopher (PU), 7-5 (7-2), 10-5
5. Dale Fetterman (LAS) def. Long Vo (PU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Robert Kasinow (LAS) def. Taylor Dedeke (PU), 6-1, 6-2
1. Sgouros/Burke (PU) def. Berenato/Fennell (LAS), 8-4
2. Christopher/Torroella-Cruz (PU) def. LaBate/Donovan (LAS), 9-8 (7-5)
3. Fetterman/Hunter Selman (LAS) def. Dedeke/Josh Greenberg (PU), 8-1