PHILADELPHIA – With the match tied at 3-all, freshman Robert Kasinow defeated his opponent 6-1 in the third set at No. 6 singles to lift the men’s tennis team over the University of the Sciences, 4-3, on Tuesday afternoon at the La Salle Tennis Courts.
Freshman De’Sean Fennell also picked up a come from behind win at No. 2 singles with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-0 victory. Classmate Dale Fetterman also gave La Salle a point with a decisive 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 5 singles.
Junior Trevor Donovan rounded out the Explorers’ singles wins on the day, taking his match in a tiebreak.
“The freshmen won the match for us,” head coach Ed Colfer said. “They battled back when they could have given up and fought to the end.”
It was a pair of freshmen who also picked up the Explorers’ lone doubles victory with Fetterman and Kasinow defeating their USP opponents 8-6 at No. 3 doubles.
The Explorers will be back in action on Thursday afternoon against Philadelphia University. A makeup of last weekend’s postponed match, it will begin at 3:30 p.m. on the La Salle Tennis Courts.
La Salle 4, USP 3
1. Alvaro Vargas (USP) def. Chas Berenato (LAS), 6-0, 6-2
2. De’Sean Fennell (LAS def. David Kazakevich (USP), 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
3. Steven Galerkin (USP) def. Joseph LaBate (LAS), 6-0, 6-1
4. Trevor Donovan (LAS) def. Bill Fine (USP), 6-2, 7-3
5. Dale Fetterman (LAS) def. K. Katzev (USP), 6-2, 6-0
6. Robert Kasinow (LAS) def. C. Oarlock (USP), 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
1. Vargas/Kazakevich (USP) def. Berenato/Fennell (LAS), 8-5
2. Galerkin/Fine (USP) def. LaBate/Donovan (LAS), 8-2
3. Fetterman/Kasinow (LAS) def. Katzev/William Metz (USP), 8-6