Temple Men's Soccer Falls 4-3 After Stony Brook Second Half Comeback

Box Score
Sophomore Jake Lister's breakaway goal in the 46th minute furthered Temple's halftime lead to a 3-1 cushion on the Stony Brook Seawolves in the Temple/Penn Tournament finale, being played at Dunning-Cohen Champions' Field on Sunday evening. The two-goal advantage was threatening, causing tensions to flare and a drastic change in momentum. In a half where six cards were issued, Stony Brook sprung for three unanswered goals to pull out a comeback, upsetting the Owls, 4-3.

Falling behind early, on Stony Brook's Antonio Crespi's unassisted goal was no concern for the Owls. From there, Temple found a way to bear down on its defense, compliments of a few key saves by sophomore netminder Bobby Rosato, who finished the game with four saves.  

Blog Image 741028 - DOUGHERTY

Lister laced a corner kick in the box that sophomore Sawyer Hemmer found and directed in for the equalizer in the 29th minute.

Seven minutes later, a foul in the box warranted a penalty kick for junior Billy Kappock. Capitalizing on the opportunity, the Owls had the momentum with a 2-1 lead.

That momentum carried over when the teams returned for the second half. Less than one minute into the half, seniorTyler Witmer dribbled by two Stony Brook defenders on his way past midfield. From there, Lister was sent off to the races, going one-on-one with Stony Brook keeper Carlos Villa before blasting the ball behind him into the net.

The Seawolves cut into Temple's lead when Leondaro Fernandes scored on an awarded penalty kick in the 47th minute.

With the goal, the physicality of the match intensified, as yellow cards rained for the latter portion of the match.

Fernandes got under Temple's skin once again when he scored the game-tying goal on a corner kick in the 73rd minute.

Energy suddenly returned to Stony Brook, igniting them to pull off the comeback. Kyle Schlesinger  launched a shot right on Rosato that couldn't quite be handled. Rosato initially was able to make a block on the shot, but still found a way to bounce off his hands and into the net.

From here, Temple (3-4-0) moves on to now play five consecutive matches on the road. The Owls pick up the road swing Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. when they head to Drexel to take on the Dragons.