Philadelphia Marathon: Getting around before, during and after the race
The following is a list of roads, streets and public transportation routes that will be closed or otherwise affected for this weekend's GORE-TEX Philadelphia Marathon activities.
The following is a list of roads, streets and public transportation routes that will be closed or otherwise affected for this weekend’s GORE-TEX Philadelphia Marathon activities.
Street closures are enforced on a rolling basis and will happen as runners go by.
Saturday, November 16
- Inner lanes of Benjamin Franklin Parkway from Logan Circle to Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive will be closed from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Sunday, November 17
- Kelly Drive to Ridge Avenue will be closed from 5:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Inner lanes of Benjamin Franklin Parkway (including cross streets) will be closed from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- The 22nd/23rd Street entrances from Route 676 will close on Sunday morning (5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.). Please plan alternate routes to the start.
There is absolutely NO PARKING along the GORE-TEX® Philadelphia Marathon course on Sunday, November 17, beginning at 5:00 a.m.
The following streets will be affected across the city on November 17:
- 21st Street, from Spring Garden to Arch streets
- 22nd Street, from Spring Garden to Arch streets
- Benjamin Franklin Parkway, from 22nd to 16th streets
- Arch Street between 16th to 4th streets
- 4th Street Arch to Vine streets
- Race Street, from 4th Street to Columbus Boulevard
- Columbus Boulevard (Southbound lanes), Vine Street to Washington Avenue
- Southbound off-ramp, from I-95 at Washington Avenue
- Washington Avenue, from Columbus Boulevard to Front Street
- Front Street, from Washington Avenue to South Street
- South Street, Front to 6th streets
- 6th Street, Bainbridge to Market streets
- Chestnut Street, 6th to 34th streets
- 34th Street, Chestnut Street to Girard Avenue
- Lansdowne Drive, Girard Avenue to South Concourse Drive
- South Concourse Drive, Lansdowne Drive to West Memorial Hall Drive
- West Memorial Hall Drive, South Concourse to Avenue of the Republic
- Avenue of the Republic, West Memorial Hall Drive to Centennial Circle
- Old Lansdowne Drive to the Sweetbriar Loop
- East on Black Road to Martin Luther King Drive
- North on Kelly Drive to The Falls Bridge
- The Falls Bridge to Martin Luther King Drive
- Ridge Avenue, Schoolhouse to Manayunk Avenue
- Main Street, Ridge Avenue to Green Lane
Motorists and pedestrians can expect significant delays when trying to cross roads or streets that are adjacent to the course. Police will allow traffic through intersections along the course, when possible, depending on the flow of the race participants. All streets will be reopened by 6 p.m. on Sunday, November 17.
Numerous routes will be detoured or otherwise affected this weekend. For a detailed list and explanation, visit http://www.septa.org/events/philadelphia-marathon.html
Stay tuned for more 2013 Philadelphia Marathon coverage at philly.com/phillymarathon.
Read more Sports Doc for Sports Medicine and Fitness.