Jason Peters has a new three-year, $32.5 million contract extension that substantially lowers his 2018 salary cap number and pretty much assures that the 35-year-old, nine-time Pro Bowl left tackle will be with the Eagles for at least the next two seasons.
As for whether he will remain at left tackle through 2018 or move inside to guard at some point, well, time will tell on that.
“It’s hard to speculate,’’ Eagles coach Doug Pederson said Wednesday. “Guard could be a potential spot down the road. We’ll cross that bridge (when we get to it). Right now, he’s the left tackle and Lane (Johnson) is the right tackle.’’
Peters has said he wants to retire as an Eagle. In the past, though, he’s also said moving to guard wasn’t something he would ever consider.
When the Eagles selected Johnson with the fourth overall pick in the 2013 draft, it was with the idea that he would start at right tackle and eventually move over to the left side when age caught up with Peters. Five seasons later, the future Hall of Famer still is winning that race. He started 16 games last season and earned – on merit – his ninth Pro Bowl invitation.
The Eagles did an excellent job of managing him last year, giving him a lot of practice time off so he would be fresh for games.
“He’s played this game long enough,’’ offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland said. “How many times can you kick-slide on a defensive end? He knows the angles he’s got to take. He knows all that stuff. He’s got it down pat pretty good. That’s why we can have the ability to do the pitch-count thing with him.’’
Said Pederson: “The way we handled him last year, he started 16 games for us and was a Pro Bowl left tackle. Those are some of the same things we need to do this year with him.’’