Stromile Swift, one of four to sign a free agent contract recently, suffered a strain to his left hamstring late in the morning practice and was not expected to participate in the night session.
He is listed as day-to-day.
Swift, a former first-round draft pick, played in a total of 19 games last season for New Jersey and Phoenix.
* Jason Smith is wearing a sleeve on his surgically repaired left knee, but moved well around the court. Smith missed all of last season.
* Coach Eddie Jordan yelled and stopped the practice twice when reporters were in, the first for two big men not running the court and crisscrossing with each other down low to start the offense and the other time was because an outlet to Andre Iguodala didn’t lead him far enough. “We want you out in the open floor, one-on-one,” he shouted.
* Due to his left Achilles injury suffered two seasons ago, Brand says his left calf is a half inch smaller than his right one. “I do extra lifting with it to try to balance them out. It was an inch-and-a-half smaller last year”
* Sean Singletary did a real nice job of playing on the ball defense.
* Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim was a visitor to the morning workout, as was Phil Martelli, who made the short stroll from his beautiful new office at the Ramsey Center to the practice courts.