Chester, Council Rock North, Plymouth Whitemarsh, and Upper Darby are the top seeds in the PIAA District 1 Class AAAA boys’ basketball tournament
The Clippers, champions of the Del-Val League, were seeded No. 1 in the 32-team tournament for the third time in the last four seasons. The Indians (21-1) earned the No. 2 spot, followed by the defending state-champion Colonials (18-4), and then the Royals (21-1).
On the girls’ side, Council Rock North is the No. 1 seed in the 32-team Class AAAA playoffs. The Indians, first-place finishers in the Suburban One League National Conference, are followed by Mount St. Joseph, Downingtown East, and Cheltenham.
The boys’ Class AAAA tournament is scheduled to begin Friday, while the girls’ Class AAAA action is set to start Saturday.
If a school has both a boys’ and girls’ AAAA squad hosting a first-round game, that school may elect to pair the two contests as a doubleheader, either on Friday or Saturday.
In the boys’ Class AAA district tournament, slated to start on Feb. 23, top seed Octorara, No. 2 Holy Ghost Prep, and No. 3 Lower Moreland were awarded first-round byes.
In the girls’ AAA playoffs, Villa Maria took the No. 1 seed, followed by Nazareth, Springfield-Delco, and defending St. Basil.
The district’s Class AA and A seeds for boys and girls have yet to be determined.
Seedings in parentheses
CLASS AAAA boys (nine teams advance to the state tournament)
(32) Perkiomen Valley at (1) Chester
(17) Springfield-Delco at (16) Cheltenham
(25) Upper Dublin at (8) North Penn
(24) Strath Haven at (9) Bensalem
(29) Kennett at (4) Upper Darby
(20) Methacton at (13) Lower Merion
(28) Central Bucks East at (5) Neshaminy
(21) Central Bucks West at (12) Glen Mills
(31) Great Valley at (2) Council Rock North
(18) Spring-Ford at (15) Wissahickon
(26) Ridley at (7) Norristown
(23) Souderton at (10) Coatesville
(30) Interboro at (3) Plymouth Whitemarsh
(19) West Chester Henderson at (14) Pennridge
(27) Penncrest at (6) West Chester Rustin
(22) Conestoga at (11) Penn Wood
Feb. 22: Second round.
Feb. 25: Quarterfinals.
March 1: Semifinals, at Villanova.
March 4: Final, 9 p.m. at Villanova.
CLASS AAAA girls (nine teams advance to the state tournament)
(32) Central Bucks West at (1) Council Rock North
(17) Abington at (16) North Penn
(25) Chester at (8) Central Bucks East
(24) Neshaminy at (9) Spring-Ford
(29) Souderton at (4) Cheltenham
(20) Plymouth Whitemarsh at (13) William Tennent
(28) Great Valley at (5) Lower Merion
(21) Haverford at (12) Downingtown West
(31) Bishop Shanahan at (2) Mount St. Joseph
(18) Upper Darby at (15) West Chester Rustin
(26) Coatesville at (7) Upper Dublin
(23) Unionville at (10) Council Rock South
(30) Academy Park at (3) Downingtown East
(19) Radnor at (14) Sun Valley
(27) Central Bucks South at (6) Boyertown
(22) Garnet Valley at (11) Avon Grove
Feb. 23: Second round.
Feb. 26: Quarterfinals.
March 2: Semifinals, at Norristown.
March 4: Final, 7 p.m. at Villanova.
CLASS AAA BOYS (three teams advance to state tournament)
Feb. 23: First round
(9) Phoenixville at (8) Upper Merion
(10) Sun Valley at (7) Harriton
(11) Upper Moreland at (6) Bishop Shanahan
Feb. 26: Quarterfinals
Phoenixville-Upper Merion winner at (1) Octorara
(5) Pottstown at (4) Pope John Paul II
Sun Valley-Harriton winner at (2) Holy Ghost Prep
Upper Moreland-Bishop Shanahan winner at (3) Lower Moreland
March 2: Semifinals, at Council Rock South.
March 5: Final, 8 p.m. at Villanova.
CLASS AAA GIRLS (three teams advance to state tournament)
Feb. 22: First round
(9) Marple Newtown at (8) Merion Mercy
(12) Pope John Paul II at (5) Oxford
(10) Harriton at (7) Upper Merion
(11) Phoenixville at (6) Villa Joseph Marie
Feb. 25: Quarterfinals.
Marple Newtown-Merion Mercy winner at (1) Villa Maria
Pope John Paul II-Oxford winner at (4) St. Basil
Harriton-Upper Merion winner at (2) Nazareth
Phoenixville-Villa Joseph Marie winner at (3) Springfield-Delco
March 1: Semifinals, at Wissahickon.
March 5: Final, 6 p.m. at Villanova.
Contact staff writer Rick O’Brien at 610-313-8019 or phillynews.com.