The best teams in South Jersey, regardless of sport:
1. Eastern field hockey (11-1): Iowa-bound forward Kelsey Mitchell is tied for the lead in South Jersey in goals with 29. The Vikings beat two Olympic American opponents last week by 10-0.
2. Haddonfield boys’ cross country (10-0): Senior Jonathan "Boo" Vitez won the Manhattan College Invitational Saturday at Van Cortland Park in New York, covering the 2.5-mile course in 12 minutes, 25.60 seconds. The Bulldogs were third in team scoring.
3. Haddonfield girls’ tennis (23-0): Sisters Spencer Ng, a junior, and Taylor Ng, a freshman, have reached the semifinals of the South Jersey Tennis Coaches Association singles tournament. The Bulldogs have won 21 matches by 5-0 score. The other two were 4-1 scores.
4. Paul VI girls’ soccer (11-0): Brittney Radcliffe (10 goals) and Chelsea Phillips (8) lead the balanced Eagles in scoring. The Eagles will be challenged over the next two weeks in the coaches tournament.
5. Williamstown football (4-0): Marcus Hampton ran for three touchdowns as Braves raced to a 27-0 halftime lead in Saturday's 35-7 thumping of Paramus Catholic.
6. St. Augustine boys’ soccer (11-0): Goalie John Richards has five shutouts for the team likely to move to the No. 1 spot in the rankings and get the No. 1 seed in the coaches tournament.
7. Delsea football (5-0): Crusaders got a battle from Group 4 Absegami Friday night but Sean McPherson's two touchdowns led to a 28-21 victory. Delsea faces Delaware's No. 1 team, Salesianium, Friday in Franklinville.
Under consideration: Cherokee football, Cherry Hill East girls’ volleyball, Lenape girls’ soccer, Lenape girls’ cross country.
-- Phil Anastasia