The best teams in South Jersey, regardless of sport:
1. Eastern field hockey (6-1): Like Moorestown girls' lacrosse, Eastern field hockey is a powerhouse in part because of its willingness to challenge itself. The Vikings will play anybody. So while Saturday night's 3-2 loss to Wyoming (Pa.) Seminary puts a smudge on the record, it only will strengthen the Vikings come state tournament time. Same goes with an upcoming game against Emmaus (Pa.), which is ranked No. 1 in the nation in topofthecircle.com.
2. Haddonfield boys' cross country (5-0): Senior Boo Vitez has been running well along with the rest of the Bulldogs. It's hurry up and wait for these guys. If they are healthy and peaking, they could have a mid-November for the ages.
3. Haddonfield girls' tennis (18-0): Freshman Taylor Ng has proven herself worthy of the No. 1 singles spot. She's 17-0 and has beaten top opponents such as Moorestown's Emma Allen and Cherry Hill East's Jamie Silverberg.
4. Paul VI girls' soccer (10-0): Eagles showed their mettle the other day. They caught an inspired Cherry Hill West team and found themselves in a tough overtime battle. Paul VI scored to win, 2-1, on a corner in the final minute of the second OT. Two days later, the Eagles rolled over a decent Seneca team, 4-0.
5. Williamstown football (2-0): You wonder if the lack of challenges on the schedule is going to lull the Braves.They have a tough game at Paramus Catholic next weekend and have to face Philly Catholic League's Father Judge. But this team needs to be challenged to be ready for the Group 4 tournament as well as a monumental Thanksgiving clash with Delsea.
6. Rancocas Valley boys' soccer (7-1): Red Devils' offense is clicking. They scored 10 goals this week in victories over Delran (4-2) and Moorestown (6-2). Today's game at Ocean City would have been a great game last year.
7. Delsea football (3-0): Unlike Williamstown, Crusaders should see some challenges in a schedule that includes Delaware power Salesianium as well as Group 4 Absegami. But here's the big difference: Delsea is getting prepared for the Group 2 tournament, Williamstown for the Group 4.
Under consideration: Cherry Hill East girls' volleyball, Cherokee football, Lenape girls' soccer, St. Augustine boys' soccer, Washington Township field hockey.
-- Phil Anastasia