St. Joseph's Prep basketball coach Speedy Morris has been nominated for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame by former Temple coach John Chaney.
At the Prep, where Morris is entering his 12th season, Morris has compiled a 253-73 record and won a pair of Catholic League championships.
In 15 years with the La Salle University's men's program, he went 238-202, earned four Mid-Atlantic Athletic Conference titles, and guided the Explorers to four NCAA Tournament appearances.
Morris is in 10 Hall of Fames, including the Philadelphia Big 5, La Salle University, Pennsylvania Sports, Philadelphia Sports, and Archdiocesan Halls of Fame.
Chaney was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2001.
Morris' accomplishments include:
- Reached 900th career win last February.Career record 904-388 in 44 years as a head coach.
- First Coach in NCAA history to go from coaching women to men.Became only the third coach in NCAA history to win 100 games in his first four years as head coach of LaSalle's men (Everett Cash, NC State; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse).
- 26 seasons of 20+ wins, including 6 30+ win seasons.
- Averaged 20.5 wins per season over 44 years.Has won the league championship in his second year as head coach with all five programs that he's coached.
- All-time winning percentage leader at Roman Catholic, with the La Salle University women's squad, and St. Joe's Prep.
- All-time wins leader at La Salle University (men's program) and St. Joe's Prep. Winningest coach in the 93-year history of the Philadelphia Catholic League.
- Winningest coach in Philadelphia high school boys' history (623–169).