The Schuylkill 16 2010-11: Week 1
It did not take long for the voting to become a head-to-head contest for the top spot between Villanova and Temple.
The Schuylkill 16 2010-11: Week 1
It did not take long for the voting to become a head-to-head contest for the top spot between Villanova and Temple. All of the No. 1 votes cast this week went to the Wildcats or the Owls, and they were spread out pretty evenly.
One quick note before we get to the rankings: I'll be at the Pavilion tonight to liveblog the Preseason NIT doubleheader featuring Villanova in the nightcap. The Wildcats will be facing Boston University, an interesting matchup of Jay Wright and his former assistant Patrick Chambers.
The first game will pit Marist, which Villanova beat yesterday, against George Washington, which lost to Boston U. The Red Foxes will be playing Penn later in the season, and the Colonials will face the usual slate of local Atlantic 10 teams. So there will be plenty to discuss from both games.
Now here we go with the latest poll, along with the usual helping of sarcastic and pithy side dishes.
1. Villanova, 31 points
- "I'm setting the over/under on Jay Wright technical fouls at 14 this year." (Nick Catrambone)
2. Temple, 33 points
- "Temple stays at No. 1 on my ballot until they lose against the Big East." (Zach Ceitlin)
3. Penn State, 95 points
- "Ed DeChellis should be a happy man for at least one day: PSU is tied for 1st in RPI ... won't last long, though." (Cory Marks)
4. La Salle, 104 points
- "Brian Ewart mentioned he was going to "pull a Pitino" last week in his comment about the Explorers. I don't know if that's something I'd tell other people about. OH! You mean you're putting an obscure team #1 in your rankings? Well, that's a different story." (Nick Catrambone)
5. Drexel, 117 points
- "Drexel got the $45 million donation for our nice new business building ... Now who's going to pony up and foot the bill for our arena construction?" (Marshall Fleming)
6. Princeton, 123 points
- "Princeton played Duke Sunday. There haven't been so many douchebags in the same room since the last time the cast of Jersey Shore hung out." (Zach Klitzman)
Can we use the word "douchebags" on this site? I have no idea.
7. Rutgers, 162 points
- "Your game against Priceton was one of the most worst performances in conference history. At no point in your team's disoriented, uncohesive effort were you even close to anything that could be considered a Big East basketball team. The RPI of every school in your conference is now lower for you having played this game. I award you 10th place, and my God have mercy on your soul." (Nick Catrambone)
8. Penn, 173 points
- "The highlight of the hoops season so far was seeing the streamers. No contest." (Nick Catrambone)
9. Rider, 195 points
10. Saint Joseph's, 219 points
- "Hey, look at that, THID U only lost by 28 points to that powerhouse Kentucky. What do you mean it wasn't Kentucky ... Oh, it was Western Kentucky." (Ralph Manoppello)
11. Bucknell, 221 points
- "I'm amazed that Bucknell's strength of schedule so far (according to Sagarin) is only 16. The good news for the Bison is that it gets easier with Binghamton, St. Francis (Pa.), and the Blue Hose of Presbyterian." (Brian O'Neill)
12. Delaware, 239 points
13. Lehigh, 243 points
- "Any time you can knock off a Danny Hurley coached squad, you're going to get my attention. " (Mario Machi)
14. Lafayette, 286 points
- "Any time you lose to a Danny Hurley coached squad, you deserve to drop a few spots." (Mario Machi)
15. Monmouth, 299 points
- "The only thing worse than being exploited into playing a 6am game is being exploited into playing a 6am game that you lose on a last second shot." (Nick Catrambone)
16. Delaware State, 316 points
- "I was going to give Delaware St. the 15th place nod just for going 1-0... until I saw that they beat Washington Adventist at home by seven." (Josh Wheeling)
- "Delaware State's win over division II Washington Adventist should be counted as a loss." (Geoff Lane)
- "Has anybody even heard of Washington Adventist?" (Zach Ceitlin
Okay, that's enough.