The Schuylkill 16 2010-11: Week 17
Villanova has taken a big fall, while Princeton is up to second.
The Schuylkill 16 2010-11: Week 17
NEW YORK - Sorry this is a day late. I was going to post it yesterday, but then the refereeing mess happened in the Rutgers-St. John's game so I decided to write about that.
I should note that ballots were cast before that game, so they don't reflect Rutgers' loss. But if you read all the way to the end of the post, you'll find something that I think makes up for it.
A reminder that you can get real-time updates on all the action here at Madison Square Garden in my live blog post here.
1. Temple, 21 points (14 first-place votes)
- "Temple is my new No. 1. I just can't keep up the charade of voting Drexel above them on principle any longer." (Brian Ewart)
- "Any possibility of the Atlantic 10 having this Temple/La Salle game at the Palestra?" (Nick Catrambone)
2. Princeton, 64 points
- "Give a lot of credit to Princeton head coach Sydney Johnson. He knew what it took to win there as a player, and he has translated that to winning as a coach." (Dan Loney)
3. Penn State, 75 points
- "Some projections have a Penn State-Drexel NIT match-up. I don't know if that will happen, but it certainly should be a regular season game every year." (Marshall Fleming)
It was hard enough to get Penn State to go to St. Joe's. Trying to convince them to go to the DAC may be a Herculean task.
4. Villanova, 64 points (1 first-place vote)
- "NIT Nation - oops I mean 'Nova Nation -is beside itself. We may squeak in, but we deserve the NIT. Jay better get used to writing guest articles for The Inquirer this post season." (Patrick Flannery)
- "Six RPI top 50 wins will save Villanova. Who thought we would be using the word 'save' about them two months ago?" (Dan Loney)
- "Remember when I said the basketball gods would make Nova pay for confiscating Temple's rollouts back in December? Well, it seems Nova is paying for it now. Karma's a [word I can't print here, sorry]. Don't mess with traditions." (Marshall Fleming)
5. Drexel, 87 points
- "Drexel will face 'Nova in a great first-round NIT game. The game should be at the Palestra." (Patrick Flannery)
- "When is a win not a win? When the refs decide to steal the game from Drexel, and give it to VCU in the CAA tournament quarter-finals. If the Colonial was a higher-profile league, that game would be investigated by the NCAA. 25-3 differential in 2nd half FT's? Three Drexel bigs fouling out? No way."
Marshall has a point, but I wonder if all those Waffle House trips got to his head a little bit.
6. Rutgers, 94 points
7. Bucknell, 108 points
- "Saw the Bucknell game on TV... That crowd looked ROCKING. Good show by the Bison fans! (They are the Bison, right? I'm about 90% sure about that, but I'm too lazy to look at Wikipedia to confirm)." (Marshall Fleming)
Yes they are, unless you're at CBS, in which case you might call them the Bi-SAHNs.
8. La Salle, 120 points
- "La Salle is streaking to the finish. Is this a head fake or can they make a run? I think they bow out quickly." (Patrick Flannery)
9. Rider, 142 points
10. Penn, 135 points
- "Tannenwald, your next article needs to be on how Tyler hBernardini is coming back for a fifth year. There's gotta be a good story behind this." (Nick Catrambone)
Sorry to dash your hopes, but there isn't a big story there. Bernardini suffered a season-ending foot injury in the second game of the 2009-10 season and took a redshirt.
- "Penn teased me tonight but choked to Princeton. Time to think Penn Relays." (Patrick Flannery)
Already? Can we finish one season before starting another?
11. Delaware, 156 points
12. Lehigh, 177 points
13. Saint Joseph's, 182 points
- "If the Schuylkill 16 was a conference and only invited the top 12, Saint Joe's would be out, sitting at the #13 spot in my book. Lucky for them, they're in the Atlatnic 10, which might be a less serious conference than the hypothetical S-16 this year." (Marshall Fleming)
- "Words don't describe how proud I am of these SJU Hawks. Yes we have had a tough season, but the ONIONS we have grown over the past few weeks are evidence that we are going to be a force very very soon." (Carl Minniti)
I think Carl contradicted himself there, didn't he?
14. Lafayette, 187 points
15. Monmouth, 210 points
16. Delaware State, 223 points
1. Whatever team Temple plays in the first-round of the NCAA tourney. (Fred David)
2. Whatever team Villanova plays in the second round of the Big East tournament. (Fred David)
I have a hunch that the point still stands.
- "The Cavaliers are in the Division III Sweet 16 this Friday night, after two more home wins last week in the opening rounds of the Dance. The best team on the Main Line has won 28 straight on their Radnor court, and are in the Dance for the third consecutive year. Congrats to coach Marcus Kahn and his guys. Go Cavs! (Ralph Manoppello)
Unranked. Tiki Barber
- "Even if he just needs the money, he has shown more will to win just by coming out of retirement than Villanova has." (Brian Ewart)
Comment of the week from Kemba Walker