Happy Halloween. Here's your daily look at five stories to know about.
1. Sen. Booker: Newark Mayor Cory Booker will be sworn in today as New Jersey's junior senator. The 44-year-old Democrat defeated Republican Steve Lonegan to fill the seat of the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg.
2. Halloween tips: Stay safe trick-or-treating tonight. We have a list of tips to keep children and pets safe. One thing you probably don't need to worry about? Poison candy. A University of Delaware researcher says it's likely just a myth. And here's a cheat sheet on which candies will do the least harm to your waistline.
3. Corbett's polling numbers: A Daily News/Franklin & Marshall College poll being released today found that just 42 percent of Pennsylvania Republicans polled think Gov. Tom Corbett should press forward with his reelection bid. Forty-four percent of Republicans want another candidate.
4. Penn State's next president: Penn State's board of trustees had been expected to vote on a new president for the university Friday, but that meeting has been abruptly canceled. The special meeting in State College has now been "delayed indefinitely."
5. Sixers shocker: The 76ers opened their season Wednesday night with an upset victory over the Miami Heat. The team pulled out a 114-110 win over the defending NBA champions at the Wells Fargo Center.