Happy Friday. Before you kick off the weekend, here are five stories to follow today:
1. Heat wave: Philly is poised to record its first official heat wave of season. Temperatures are expected to soar into the 90s for the third straight day, with a predicted high of 94. The 90-plus temps are expected to continue Saturday, with a slight cool-down to 89 on Sunday.
2. Police shootings: A fatal police shooting was caught on video last eyar, leaving 40-year-old Michael Berry's family to wonder why he had to die. The incident was one of 52 police-involved shootings in Philadelphia in 2012, and Commissioner Charles Ramsey has asked the Justice Department to review the use of deadly force by Philly officers.
3. Doomsday school budget: The School Reform Commission approved what critics call a doomsday budget for the Philadelphia School District. The spending plan calls for 3,000 layoffs and eliminating resources like clubs, librarians, art, athletics and new books to close a $304 million budget gap.
4. Powerful women: Fourteen people on Forbes' annual list of the world's most influential women have ties to the Philadelphia region.
5. Phillies still trying to reach .500: The Phillies again failed in their bid to get back to a .500 record in a 9-2 loss to the Red Sox. Up next for the 26-28 Phils are three games this weekend against Milwaukee, starting at today Citizens Bank Park at 7:05 p.m.