Here's your daily look at five stories we're following before the weekend:
1. School layoffs: The Philadelphia School District has started sending layoff notices to 342 employees, largely noontime aides and special-education assistants. And up to 1,300 workers could be laid off if state legislators don't approve a $2-per-pack cigarette tax.
2. Trial in 6-year-old's death: Jurors have begun deciding the fate of a man on trial for allegedly killing a 6-year-old boy in Camden in 2012. The boy, Dominick Andujar, has been hailed as a hero for trying to stop Osvaldo Rivera from attacking his 12-year-old sister after breaking into their home.
3. Penn State tuition: Penn State's board of trustees will consider a proposal today to raise tuition by nearly 3 percent at the school's University Park campus.
4. Schuylkill dance: "Invisible River," an arts event combining dance and a parade of boats takes place this weekend at the Strawberry Mansion Bridge over the Schuylkill River.
5. World Cup final: Germany and Argentina face off on Sunday in the World Cup final.