Happy Friday. Here's your look at five stories to know about before the weekend.
1. Opening ceremonies: The opening ceremonies for the Sochi Olympics take place tonight.
2. Outages linger: More than 284,000 Peco customers in the Philadelphia region remain without power this morning, two day's after Wednesday's storms knocked down trees and power lines.
3. "Handbags 4 Peace": A demonstration being called "Handbags 4 Peace" is slated for Saturday morning in West Philadelphia, near the site where a woman was fatally shot during a purse-snatching. In the past month, there have been several shootings over purses in the city.
4. Auto Show: The Philadelphia Auto Show starts Saturday and runs through Feb. 16. The event kicks off tonight with a Black Tie Tailgate gala.
5. New locomotives: The first of Amtrak's new electric locomotives will begin service today on the Northeast Corridor. The trains will eventually power all Northeast Corridor trips between Boston and Washington, D.C., and also run on the Keystone Corridor between Harrisburg, Philadelphia and New York. Vice President Joe Biden was in Philadelphia Thursday to promote the new trains.