Here's your daily look at five stories we're following:
1. Do or die for Taney: After the Taney Dragons lost to a team from Las Vegas in the Little League World Series on Wednesday, the Center City team plays against a Chicago squad this evening. The winner will play Vegas again for the U.S. championship on Saturday, while the loser will be eliminated from the tournament.
2. Katz plane crash: New details are emerging about the May plane crash that killed Philadelphia businessman Lewis Katz (a former owner of the Inquirer, Daily News and Philly.com) and six others outside Boston. A fail-safe system may have been overridden, due to improper takeoff procedures by the pilots, Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. is suggesting.
3. Eagles preseason: The Eagles play their third preseason game tonight, facing the Pittsburgh Steelers at Lincoln Financial Field.
4. Abduction trial: Opening statements are expected today in the trial for Christina Regusters, accused of abducting a 5-year-old girl from her West Philadelphia school and sexually abusing the child before leaving her at an Upper Darby playground.
5. Hawks and ex-cons: A "nature and nurture" pilot program in Delaware County is using hawks to help ex-offenders strengthen bonds with their families.