Thursday Aug. 7, 2014 Using the Independence Beer Garden as a backdrop, the city's political heavyweights used the event across the street from Independence Mall to kick off Philadelphia's final push for a winning bid to secure the 2016 Democratic Convention. Here, Congressman Bob Brady, left, Gov. Ed Rendell and Mayor Nutter at their press conference this afternoon. ( ED HILLE / staff photographer )
ED HILLE / Staff Photographer
Here's your daily look at five stories we're following:
1. DNC visit: Representatives from the Democratic National Committee deciding where to host the party's 2016 conventionv will visit Philadelphia today and Thursday for a site visit. A number of prominent spots in the city will be lit up in red, white and blue to welcome the committee.
2. Revel closing: The struggling Revel Casino Hotel has announced that it will close by Sept. 10, leaving nearly 6,400 workers without jobs and raising the question of what will be done with the building.
3. Casino revenues: New Jersey regulators are scheduled to release a report today on gambling revenues in the state. The July figures will be closely watched in light of the news of Revel's demise.
4. Penn State trustees meeting: Pennsylvania State University trustees are holding a special meeting today to weigh potential challenges to NCAA sanctions and fine against the school stemmming from the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.
5. A.C. Airshow: The Atlantic City Airshow takes place today, sending parachutes, stunt planes and helicopters over the boardwalk.