New love for the City of Brotherly Love?
All too often, when city makes some national list, it's for misery, girth or bed bugs.
Yet Philadelphia may be the nation's "most underrated city," according to Ellie Krupnick, a senior editor at Huffington Post, who came up with a whopping 31 reasons.
No surprise, but from reason No. 1 (“over 200 BYOB restaurants”) to No. 31 (“Wawa”), food and drink account for nearly half the reasons, including soft pretzels, cheesesteaks, cheap beer, world-class chefs, Federal Donuts, Reading Terminal Market, and Dollar Dog Nights at Citizens Bank Park.
Some of the others are obvious, like the Art Museum, Fairmount Park and Revolutionary history, while saying the Eagles have “the best fight song of any football team” is dubious.
Here are the rest of the recommendations:
2. “Most thrilling, raucous place to watch a sporting event.”
5. “Addison Street is arguably the prettiest street in the entire Northeast.”
8. “It's home to the Wing Bowl, one of the wildest competitive eating contests you've ever witnessed.”
9. “Massive Eastern State Penitentiary is the best time you've ever had at a prison.”
10. “It's insanely easy to navigate thanks to Walk! Philadelphia, the largest comprehensive pedestrian sign system in North America.”
17. “Philadelphia is getting its own bike share program... and it will actually be accessible.”
20. “The music scene is fierce, independent and embodying Philly's ‘fight the man’ attitude.”
23. “Boathouse Row is one of the most beautiful places to run, bike and stroll.”
24. “It boasts some of the most accessible, scenic races for runners.”
25. “It's bursting with a vibrant arts community.”
28. “Jay Z set his 'Made In America' festival in Philly.”
29. “If you love drag, you can get a weekly fix at Bob & Barbara's.”
30. “The Philadelphia Naked Bike Ride is a bold celebration of body image.”
See more Philly Lists. Contact staff writer Peter Mucha at 215-854-4342 or firstname.lastname@example.org.