The popular Easter candy Peeps are turning 60 this year. The state Senate adopted a resolution earlier this month recognizing Just Born, the Bethlehem business that makes the marshmallow candy, and it's filled with fun facts about the sugary chicks.
Here are 10 big dates in Peeps history that we learned:
1. 1917: Sam Born opens a candy shop in Brooklyn, marketing the goods' freshness with a "just born" sign.
2. 1932: Born moves the candy operation to Bethlehem.
3. 1953: The first marshmallow Peep is made.
4. 1960s: Just Born begins making seasonal Peeps that include trees, snowmen, pumpkins and cats.
5. 1980s: Peeps Giant Bunnies are introduced.
6. 1999: New Peeps products include flavored Peeps (vanilla creme eggs) and Peeps jellybeans. This is also the year Peeps launched a TV ad campaign, website and fan club.
7. 2009: Just Born's first retail store opens in National Harbor, Md.
8. 2010: Chocolate-dipped Peeps chicks are introduced.
9. 2011: A second retail store in Minnesota and an online store open.
10. 2012: A store in Bethlehem opens.