Jonathan Papelbon has agreed to a four-year deal with the Phillies, according to two baseball sources.
The source said the deal was worth four years and $50 million. It was first reported by CSNPhilly.com.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. would not confirm the deal, but earlier in the day he talked about the importance of having a quality closer.
"I think it's essential that we win the games we're supposed to win because of the commitment we've made to our starting pitching overall and just our pitching in general," Amaro said. "It's important we make sure we win the games when we have a late lead."
With Madson as their closer most of last season, the Phillies were tremendous at doing just that. The Phillies had been in talks with Papelbon and earlier this week. A baseball source said the Phillies had reached a four-year, $44 million agreement with Madson, but Amaro strongly denied that any agreement had ever been made.
It's possible that Madson will now end up in Boston replacing Papelbon.
Though Papelbon is two months younger than Madson, he has been in a closer role for six seasons compared to just one for Madson.
Papelbon was 4-1 with 31 saves in 34 attempts and a 2.94 ERA last season with the Red Sox.
You can read more about Papelbon's signing in Saturday's Inquirer.