Papelbon adamant about closing

073114_papelbon-ruiz_600
Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz (51) celebrates with relief pitcher Jonathan Papelbon (58) after a baseball game against the Washington Nationals at Nationals Park Thursday, July 31, 2014, in Washington. The Phillies won 10-4. (Alex Brandon/AP)

WASHINGTON -- Phillies closer Jonathan Papelbon has not backed off his comments earlier this month that he would like to play for a contender. Papelbon said he was also fine with staying with the Phillies because he likes the makeup of the young bullpen.

He could still get traded next month although it's not likely due to a $13 million salary next year and an attainable vesting option in 2016 for the same amount. Still, Papelbon would welcome a deal under one condition – that he remains a closer.

When asked before Thursday's 10-4 win over the Washington Nationals if it would interest him to be dealt to a team that would use him as a set-up man, Papelbon said he would have no interest.

“No, I don’t set up,” he said. ‘And you should know that.”

There was laughing after his final sentence, but Papelbon, while smiling, was dead serious. He remained adamant about keeping his current role.

He said he wouldn’t want to go to a contender as a set-up man.

“The chance to win a World Series is with me closing,” he said. “Period.”

Continue Reading