Let's get back to Pat Burrell for a second. I get the sense the Phillies want Jamie Moyer and Scott Eyre back. Ruben Amaro Jr. already has said pitching is a priority, and Moyer and Eyre would be a good place to start. Burrell? I think the Phillies would like Burrell back, but only at their price. I also think they would like to get younger and more athletic at that position, which makes them less inclined to get into a bidding war with anybody. Burrell is 32. He hit .210 from July 10 through the end of the season. If a team makes a three-year offer for Burrell, I can't see the Phillies matching the years or dollars.
Plus, the Phillies already have a lot of money committed to 2009.
Consider the players already under contract next season:
- Brett Myers made $8.5 million in 2008. He will make $12 million in 2009.
- Chase Utley made $8.5 million. He will make $11.25 million, which includes a $250,000 signing bonus.
- Brad Lidge made $6.35 million. He will make $11.5 million.
- Jimmy Rollins made $8 million. He will make $8.5 million, which includes a $1 million signing bonus.
- Adam Eaton made $8.125 million. He will make $8.5 million.
- Geoff Jenkins made $5 million. He will make $8 million, which includes a $1.25 million buyout on a 2010 club option.
- Pedro Feliz made $3 million. He will make $5.5 million, which includes a $500,000 buyout on a 2010 club option.
- J.C. Romero made $3.75 million. He will make $4 million.
- Matt Stairs will make $1 million.
Players that made $51.225 million last season are scheduled to make $70.25 million next season.