Here are some April numbers I compiled while I made like Arlen Specter and enjoyed a morning waffle. Look for a more complete list in tomorrow's Inquirer.
· 9: come-from-behind victories.
· .270: the team batting average, up from .255 in 2008.
· .241: leadoff hitter Jimmy Rollins’ on-base percentage.
· 7: Home runs by free agent acquisition Raul Ibanez.
· .359: Ibanez’s team-leading batting average
· 3: stolen bases by the 36-year-old Ibanez, sharing the team lead with Shane Victorino.
· .254: Pat Burrell’s batting average with Tampa Bay. He has one home run.
· 2: Regular chants at Citizens Bank Park that sound like “boo”: “Ra-ooool” for Ibanez and “Louuuuuuu” for rookie catcher Lou Marson.
· 8: The major-league leading amount of home runs allowed by Brett Myers.
· 4.83: Myers’ team-leading earned run average.
· 0: Wins by Cole Hamels.
· 93: The velocity in miles-per-hour of Hamels’ fastball before he sprained his ankle on Tuesday.
As a new Philadelphian, I have two questions for you residents. Having watched Myers for all these years, how concerned are you right now? And, does it bother you that the senator you elected from one party has switched to another, or has the guy earned the right to fight for his re-election?