It doesn't take much to amuse me, but I can't be the only one who gets a kick out of the fact that, by the end of tonight, Brandon Beachy will have faced the Phillies in more than a fifth of his 33 career starts. Maybe I am. Regardless, Beachy made his major league debut against the Phillies a couple of Septembers ago and tonight will face them for the seventh time in his young career. He has pitched fairly well in his last couple of outings against them:
Sept. 7, 2011: 5 2/3 IP, 2 H, 1 R/ER, 1 BB, 7 SO, 1 HR
July 8, 2011: 6.0 IP, 8 H, 2 R/ER, 0 BB, 6 SO, 1 HR
Both of those games were 3-2 Phillies wins, and both came at Citizens Bank Park.
Since allowing four runs and three walks to the Astros in his first start of the season, Beachy has held the Brewers, Diamondbacks and Dodgers to three runs in 20 2/3 innings, striking out 17 and walking four in the process.
Here's tonight's line-up against the Braves righthander, along with each hitter's career numbers against Beachy:
- Jimmy Rollins SS (2/11, 1 2B)
- Placido Polanco 3B (3/11)
- Shane Victorino CF (4/10, 1 2B, 1 BB, 2 SO)
- Hunter Pence RF (0/2, 2 SO)
- Ty Wigginton 1B (Has not faced)
- Laynce Nix LF (0/2)
- Carlos Ruiz C (5/8, 2 2B, 1 HR, 1 BB)
- Freddy Galvis 2B (Has not faced)
- Cole Hamels LHP (0/3, 1 SO)