Sunday, March 1, 2015

Football: Overbrook forfeits Friday game vs. Haddonfield (updated)

Football: Overbrook forfeits Friday game vs. Haddonfield (updated)

0 comments

 

Overbrook (2-4) removed 24 players from its varsity football team in a disciplinary measure this week and will forfeit Friday's Colonial Conference football game against Haddonfield (6-0), AD Gary McGaurn said.

"With the young guys who are left, they wouldn't be ready to play this week," McGaurn said. "They will play a varsity game next week against West Deptford."

Overbrook lost its last game to Audubon by a 26-0 score. Before that, the Rams won two in a row against Collingswood and Gateway.

McGaurn said head coach Wade Inge made the decision to remove 24 players from the team. McGaurn said the 24 are off the team for the remainder of the season.

Haddonfield beat Paulsboro last week by a 35-0 score.

It's the second year in a row that a Colonial Conference team forfeited against Haddonfield. Last year, Gateway forfeited in Week 8 to the Bulldogs.

Haddonfield went on to win the SJ Grouo 2 title last season.

"It's disappointing," Haddonfield coach Frank DeLano said. "But we totally respect the decision made by Overbrook. We're in this as educators first."

Haddonfield will move to 7-0. The Bulldogs have an unwanted bye in their schedule before playing 3-3 Woodbury next Friday.

-- Phil Anastasia

 

0 comments
 
comments powered by Disqus
About this blog
Born and raised in South Jersey, Phil Anastasia prefers standing on the sidelines at high school football games on Friday nights to sitting in the press box at Eagles games on Sunday afternoons. He’s a graduate of Rowan University with a degree in English. Reach Phil at panastasia@phillynews.com.

Phil Anastasia Inquirer Columnist
Latest Videos:
Also on Philly.com:
Stay Connected