Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The Cliff that leads to a cavern

The Cliff that leads to a cavern

Carolyn Kaster

  The fiscal cliff is looming and to date there have been 2 proposals put forth. One by the President and one by House Speaker John Boehner. The American people are hoping an agreement can be reached. Here are some of the  issues that have come to the forefront in this political quagmire.


 President Obama ran with the promise that if reelected he would make the Bush Tax cuts permanent for the middle class which constitutes 98% of Americans. President Obama stated that the remaining 2% of Americans should pay more in taxes and it was his pledge that he would not allow that 2% to continue to get a tax break. The President’s Opponent disagreed with that tact and stated that he would not raise taxes on anyone. There was a choice and the American people decided that they agreed with the President’s approach. A recent Quinnipiac poll found that 65% of voters back increasing taxes on Americans making more than $250,000. Yet despite that the Speaker of the House John Boehner believes that we should not raise taxes on anyone. He put forth a plan that would close loopholes yet allow the tax breaks to continue for all.

 It doesn’t seem that he or the Republicans can see the “win” that they have. Instead of harping on the  tax increase for 2% of Americans they should celebrate that something, anything that President George W. Bush did in his presidency is not being railed against or spoken about in harsh terms. The Republicans it seems want fiscal responsibility, a healthy economy and a strong defense. All of those endeavors require revenue and the Republicans would like to get that revenue from Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. The Democrats view those choices as a nonstarter.

   What you are now seeing is that some Republicans who are not scared saying that they may need to go along with the American people want which is that the taxes go up for those making over $250,00 a year and under no circumstance want to have money taken from Medicaid, Medicare or Social Security. This fight is going to go down to the wire and 98% of Americans are being held “hostage” by a Republican Party that seems to be on its face holding out so the rich can continue to get a tax break

We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

Comment policy: comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Read 0 comments
comments powered by Disqus
About this blog

The Daily News's Signe Wilkinson weighs in on current events around the city and the world.

Signe toons