1 medium carrot, grated
1 large onion, diced
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ¼ teaspoon dried
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ketchup, plus more for the top of the meatloaf
2 pounds ground turkey
¾ cup oatmeal
2 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 350⁰ F.
2. Wash, peel, and grate carrots. Remove the ends and papery skin from the onion. Cut in half and lay onion flat side down on the cutting board. Cut into thin strips along the natural ribs in the onion (about ¼ inch wide), then turn the onion and cut across to finely dice.
3. In a large bowl, combine diced onion, grated carrot, salt, pepper, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, ground turkey, oatmeal, and egg.
4. Lightly spray or oil a sheet pan. Evenly divide the mixture into two, form into two loaves, and place on the sheet pan so they aren’t touching. Spread the top of each meat loaf with an even layer of ketchup.
5. Bake until the center temperature reaches 165⁰ F, about 35 minutes. Slice into equal portions and enjoy with smashed potatoes.
Per serving: 375 calories, 19 grams fat, 209 mililgrams cholesterol, 449 milligrams sodium, 540 milligrams potassium, 12 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams dietary fiber, 3 grams sugar, 45 grams protein