Makes 6 burritos
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 red pepper diced, seeds removed
½ teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic
4 cups spinach
1 15.5-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
6 eggs, scrambled
6 whole-wheat flour tortillas
4 ounces cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion, red pepper, salt, pepper, and paprika and saute until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and black beans and cook for two minutes.
- Add the spinach, cover the pan, and allow spinach to wilt.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a medium bowl and beat slightly. Heat a cast-iron skillet. You’ll know it’s ready when drops of water sizzle on the surface. Scramble eggs, cooking until they are mostly firm.
- Assemble the burritos: Distribute the veggie and bean mixture, scrambled eggs, and a pinch of grated cheese between the tortillas.
- To roll: Fold the right and left sides of the tortilla until they nearly touch at the center of the mixture. Using your thumbs, bring up the bottom of the tortilla and begin to roll the burrito, tucking the tortilla around the mixture.
- Place burritos on a sheet pan and heat in the oven for five minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve with sliced avocado.
-- My Daughter's Kitchen
326 calories, 14 grams fat,
168 mg cholesterol, 335 mg sodium, 30
grams carbohydrates, 8 grams dietary fiber,
4 grams sugar, 19 grams protein.