Makes 8 servings
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Melt butter in cast-iron pan.
3. Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in medium mixing bowl.
4. Crack eggs into a larger mixing bowl. Add the milk and the remainder of the butter after greasing the skillet. Whisk to combine.
5. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the liquid ingredients into the well. Whisk until well combined. Stir in the cheddar cheese.
6. Pour batter into the greased skillet.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cornbread is brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Per serving: 147 calories, 4 grams protein, 17 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams sugar, 7 grams fat, 44 milligrams cholesterol, 275 milligrams sodium, 1 gram dietary fiber.