On the day that Donovan McNabb and the Redskins agreed to a $78 million contract extension, it was Michael Vick who stole the show in front of a national audience.
Vick played about as perfect a game as you'll see all season, completing 20 of 28 passes for 333 yards and four touchdowns. He also carried eight times for 80 yards and a pair of scores as the Eagles left Washington with a 59-28 victory and a share of first place in the NFC East.
The Eagles scored touchdowns on their first five possessions to take a 35-0 lead.
On the offense's first play from scrimmage, Vick found Jackson for an 88-yard touchdown that was the longest play of each player's career. Vick ran it in from 7 yards out on the second possession. And he found LeSean McCoy on a shovel pass for the third score. Next it was Jerome Harrison's turn. The Eagles' backup running back, appearing in only his second game with the team, took a carry 50 yards to the house. Harrison finished with 109 yards on 11 carries.
And finally Jeremy Maclin got in the mix, hauling in a 48-yard bomb to put the Eagles up 35-0 in the second quarter.
Vick ran in for another score later in the second as the Eagles set a franchise record with 45 first-half points. In the second half, they got a pick-six from Dimitri Patterson, and Vick hit Avant for his fourth touchdown pass.
The Eagles' 28-0 lead at the end of the first quarter marked the biggest lead by a road team after 15 minutes in the history of the NFL.
The Birds had 12 first downs and 28 points before the Redskins had even one first down. Vick's first incompletion came at the 12-minute mark of the second quarter. He became the first player in NFL history to throw for three touchdowns and run for two more in the first half, according to the TV broadcast.
Defensively, the Eagles picked McNabb off three times. Patterson got him twice, and Kurt Coleman, making his first career start, notched his first interception.
McNabb has thrown 11 interceptions, one more than he threw all of last season with the Eagles.
With the victory, the Eagles move into a tie atop the NFC East with the Giants at 6-3. The two teams meet for a huge matchup Sunday night at the Linc with first place on the line.
* The Eagles are now 1-1 in division games. They play four more in their final seven games.
* Trevor Laws had a sack at the end of the first half. Juqua Parker had his fifth of the season in the second half.
* Vick averaged 11.9 yards per attempt and had a QB rating of 150.7.
* The Eagles were 7-for-12 on third down. The Redskins were 0-for-10.
* The offense converted all four red-zone chances into touchdowns.
* Vick targeted Avant five times. All five were completions for 76 yards.
* After seeing the deal McNabb got, it's reasonable to wonder what kind of payday Vick has in store for him this offseason as a free agent.
And download the 2010 MTC app from the ITunes store.