DeSean, LeSean lift Eagles to win
DeSean Jackson and LeSean McCoy had career nights, lifting the Eagles to a 30-27 victory over the Cowboys Sunday night.
DeSean, LeSean lift Eagles to win
It wasn't the prettiest performance, but when the final knee had been taken at Cowboys Stadium, the Eagles had improved to 9-4 with a 30-27 victory over Dallas.
DeSean Jackson and LeSean McCoy both had career nights as the Birds moved to 3-1 against the NFC East.
Jackson got it done early with a 60-yard bomb on the Eagles' first play from scrimmage.
But the bigger play came in the fourth quarter. With the Eagles locked in a 20-20 tie, Jackson took a pass from Michael Vick 91 yards to the house. The Eagles held the lead the rest of the way.
Jackson finished with four catches and a career-high 210 yards.
McCoy did his part too, carrying 16 times for a career-high 149 yards.
The Eagles' offense took over with 4:22 left in the fourth quarter, up 30-27. McCoy carried four times for 50 yards, forcing the Cowboys to use their timeouts and chewing up the clock.
For one night at least, the Eagles sit atop the NFC East at 9-4. The Giants play Monday night against the Vikings before hosting the Birds in Week 15.
* Stewart Bradley left the game in the first half with a dislocated elbow. Taking his place was rookie JaMar Chaney. Omar Gaither, who had previously been Bradley's backup, was inactive.
* The Eagles had several rookies play significant snaps on defense: Brandon Graham, Nate Allen, Trevard Lindley and Chaney. Kurt Coleman also got on the field on defense.
* Vick finished 16 of 26 for 270 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. 78 percent of the passing yards went to Jackson. The second-leading receiver was Jason Avant with 18 yards.
* McCoy came into the game averaging 5.7 yards per carry in the fourth quarter. That average is only going to go up after he carried six times for 66 yards in the fourth tonight (11.0 YPC). He had four carries of 10 yards or more in the final 15 minutes to close the Cowboys out.
* Vick had two interceptions tonight. He had two INTs all season coming in. In all fairness, the second one wasn't his fault as the ball went through Jeremy Maclin's hands.
* Maclin did an excellent job blocking on a couple big plays downfield.
* Cris Collinsworth called Todd Herremans his MVP of the game. I have to re-watch the offense, but it certainly seemed like he did an excellent job on the interior.
* The Eagles have been outscored 24-3 in the third quarter of their last two games. They have outscored their opponents 27-7 in the fourth.
* The defense allowed the Cowboys to score touchdowns on two of their three red-zone trips. The funny thing is that actually helps their percentage on the season.
* Todd Herremans had more receiving yards than Brent Celek and just 2 fewer yards receiving than McCoy. Herremans caught a 2-yard touchdown in the second quarter.
* Silly penalty from Jackson on his 91-yard touchdown.
* Sillier penalty by Jorrick Calvin dancing around the end zone, not knowing the rules and thinking he was killing time, and then mixing it up with a Cowboys player for a personal foul penalty.
* With the win, the Eagles picked up a game on playoff-hopeful teams Green Bay and Chicago, who both lost Sunday.
Download our NEW iPhone/Android app for even more Birds coverage, including app-exclusive videos and analysis. Get it here.