Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress will not play another game this season.
The team suspended Burress for four games, the rest of the regular season. They also placed him on the reserve/non-football injury list, meaning Burress cannot return for the playoffs either.
Here's what Giants GM Jerry Reese said on the team's Web site:
“The decision we made today regarding Plaxico's roster status was based on the examination of Plaxico by our team physician. Dr. Rodeo believes Plaxico would be out at least four to six weeks with the gunshot wound. I had two conversations with Plaxico today, and it was obvious that he understood the magnitude of this situation. He knows that we are here to support him and help him get healthy.”
On Monday, Burress was charged with illegal weapons possession. According to the AP, he's due back in court on March 31.
According to the New York Daily News, the suspension means Burress will lose $823,529 in pay. He has also been fined and may not get the $1 million part of his signing bonus.
Other details of the incident, meanwhile, continue to be investigated.
One such detail is why the incident was not reported to police by the hospital. The New York Times reports that a person at New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Hospital who was responsible for not reporting the gunshot wound has been suspended. The article also quotes New York Mayor Bloomberg:
“It is just an outrage that the hospital didn’t do what they’re legally required to do. It’s a misdemeanor, it’s a chargeable offense, and I think that the district attorney should certainly go after the management of this hospital.”
The other detail concerns Burress' teammate Antonio Pierce, who is being investigated for possibly being involved in a cover-up after the incident took place.
"If it was up to me, it would have been done with that night or never happened," Pierce said in a radio interview, according to Newsday. "The best thing in that whole situation is to wish that it never happened, but in life sometimes you can't take things back. You can't rewind. We just move forward, and that's what I plan on doing is move forward."
Updated 10 p.m. Tuesday
A commenter asked about a report by Tiki Barber that Giants WR Steve Smith had been held up at gunpoint last week.
Barber's report has been verified by multiple media outlets. According to Newsday, Smith was held up outside his home early Tuesday morning after the second-year player spent the night out. He reportedly had a gun pointed to his head and was told to give up his jewelery and cash. The article says Smith is not believed to own a gun.